Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mirrors

Yesterday I was in a different truck. This truck only had mirrors on the doors with the round spot mirrors under them. My usual truck also has spot mirrors on the front finders. A big difference.
I will try to explain.
The next time you sit in your car put your hands (palms facing forward) on your face beside your eyes so that you can only see what is in front of you. The seatback should be the imaginary line of vision. Now if you could not turn your head, that is a truckers vision.
While you are looking in your mirrors imagine you are taller than everything around you.
Your mirrors show things behind you but what if your 2 year old child was setting on the ground beside the front door. You would not see them. Scary thought.
We truly have "blind spots" and the mirrors on the front fenders help.
So the next time you are just behind the drivers door of a big rig check out his mirrors. If you can't see his face then you are invisible to him. Move forward or fall back until you can him and you will know how large the blind spot is.
When you are about to pass another car, you first check your door mirror and then glance over you shoulder just to make sure. Why, because you have a blind spot too. Just a lot smaller than ours.

3 comments:

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

We ride motorcycles and are very aware of your blind spots and always try to make eye contact with the big trucks and cars also.

I read several of your posts and I like the A to Z thing, I may try it sometime...although, like you, I will answer without much thought...it's more fun that way. I don't want my blog to become work.

My husband was stationed at Ft.Smith, Ark and we have been through it several times. And Land Between the lakes is near to my brother's.

Thanks for stopping in to my spot on this planet and come again.

Linda said...

Thanks for the heads up!

TUFFENUF said...

Yeah, I hate to see the cars hang in the blind spot of the big rigs, it is stupid and dangerous. There should be more info in the drivers handbook about this situation.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food