Thursday, September 20, 2007

Talk is Cheap

He passed me in his Ford F-250 with a temporary tax showing he had purchased the used truck that very day.

When I pulled into the rest area just east of Texarkana, I noticed him getting out of his truck. Before he could walk the 150 ft to the vending machines, he had turned to look at his truck no less than 4 times. He was obviously very proud of it.

As I headed to the restroom, he was coming back to his truck (never taking his eyes off of it). I stopped him and asked about his truck (knowing he would like to talk about it).

His father and brothers both had diesel pickups but this was his first. It was a 2000 model that he would use to drive to work and pull a small horse trailer. After I bragged on his purchase, he was off to show his wife.

Upon returning from the restroom, I noticed a small car pulling up with its gas cap dangling. As I approached the driver, he was rambling in the glove compartment. He noticed me and rolled down his window and said, "Good afternoon young man". Yes, he was older than me (getting harder to find every day).

When I told him about the gas cap and the fact that it would cause the "check engine" light to come on, he laughed and said, "Heck, I knew that but would you believe I was just looking for the phone number of the rental car agency because the "check engine" light had just came on". He thanked me for saving him an embarrassing phone call and we both had a good laugh.

I love to talk to people and "talk is cheap". Cheap, heck it's free.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I learned something there. I have opportunities for short visits during my day also. It makes being out there on the road much more interesting.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food