Saturday, July 01, 2006

June, 2006 book

On the first of each month I will post a book that I have enjoyed reading. Some you will have heard of and others you will not.



The first is Into the Wild, by Jon Krahauer. A true story about a young man from a well-to-do family that hitchhiked to Alaska in April 1992 and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter.

You will not be able to put this book down. You know the out come but the writer does an excellent job of detailing the events that led to this tragedy. Some things still go unanswered. Hope you will check it out. Pardon the pun.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Hi, thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading a different book by this author, Into Thin Air, a great adventure about extreme mountain climbing. I'll check this one out.

Michelle said...

OOoo i will look forward to your reviews each month. Not read this one, but i am quite familiar with the story. Sounds riviting :o)

squire said...

Thanks for the comments. I almost got out out bed and deleted this post.

Carole Burant said...

I do remember hearing this story but didn't realize a book had been written about. I love reading about true life events so will definitely look for this book!

Alex Horton said...

I had never heard about this story before reading this book and I found it gripping and intriguing.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food