Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Let me at them!

While traveling down the interstate, I observed a minivan that was having trouble maintaining a straight line. It was rocking back and forth and the driver was applying the brake to get it under control.


The closer I got to it the more concerned I was about the condition of this minivan. I was afraid it had a wheel about to come off or a piece of its suspension broken. I took several minutes to catch it.

As I approached I could see in the back window. The problem was three large kids "rough-housing". As I go around the driver is still hitting the brake to maintain control but is doing nothing about the kids that could cause a wreck at any time. She is just driving and puffing on a cigarette.

I wanted to stop and remedy the situation.

I don't under stand parents that will not make their kids behave.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I'm a believer that parents need to get their bluff in early in their childrens' lives. After all, lots of kids grow up to be bigger than their parents.

But I'm not a believer in physical/corporal punishment. I think there's nothing better than talk and explanation and discussing and taking responsibility, etc.

I would have stopped the van and refused to drive on until things got under control. Of course, my kids wouldn't have been behaving like that in the first place!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I wish my older married with children daughter could read your post.

I was driving a van down the interstate once and the 4 or 5 children in the back were rough housing causing my van to feel out of control and to boot it was raining hard. I told my daughter to get the kids to sit down and behave because it was shaking the van and she looked at me like I didn't know how to drive...and told me that they weren't hurting anything. I threatened to stop the van (I have in the past) and they calmed down, for awhile...but not with her help.

Carole Burant said...

I'll never understand either how parents can continue to let their kids behave that way, especially in a car or van...mine knew better than to even try anything like that! These days, with the laws protecting children, and parents not being able to touch them in punishment, there is no more respect, discipline, etc.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food