Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Friends



Ask me who my best friend is and I will say without hesitation that it is "Jimmy". I stopped by his place today and had a three hour visit. Truly an enjoyable afternoon.

Jimmy had been my best friend for over 30 years, so we go back a ways. We have overhauled our share of engines together and shared many happy hours working in his home shop. You see, Jimmy is a "car guy" and 7 years older ( I should look so good). He is one of a dying breed of shade-tree mechanics, and I use that term with the utmost respect.

With all the computers on automobiles today, there are no mechanics just technetions. Plug in the computer and it will tell you what is wrong and all you have to do is replace the faulty part. No one repairs anything anymore, just replace it.

Our visit was to short as always. One would tell a story and then the other. We talked about cars we have had, cars we have worked on together, and cars we always wanted but never could afford. The past is never better than when it is shared between friends. It amazes me that true friends can get together after months or years and just carry on conversation like they saw each other yesterday.

Jimmy is the most liked person I have ever known. Not once have I ever heard anyone say anything against him. That is saying a lot when he has lived all his live in a town with less than 200 people. He is my best friend and I feel privileged that he calls me one of this friends.

6 comments:

Carole Burant said...

We should all be so lucky to have a friend like Jimmy...we need a best friend like that in our lives. He sounds like a wonderful man and I'm glad you got to spend some time with him:-)

Michelle said...

Such a lovely tribute to your friend, bet he's happy to be your friend too :o)

Anvilcloud said...

It's true about old friends, and you can even pick up after many, many years apart.

Annie said...

Did you show him your Fiero? What did he think about it?

squire said...

Annie, I was in my big truck. Jimmy lives right on the hiway, so I just pulled in the driveway of his shop. Don't get to run the route very often when I have time to stop.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I bet that your friend was just as happy to see you too. There's nothing like a good friend.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food