Sunday, October 01, 2006

October Book Review

Seeing "the walker" a few days ago reminded me of this book.










"A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins.
Peter sets out with a backpack and his dog in the 1970's and walks from the northeast to New Orleans, finds the love of his life and he and his wife walk to the Pacific Ocean. Along the way his dog is accidentally killed, he lives with a black family for several months while working at a sawmill in North Carolina, meets a mountain hermit and he and his wife are befriended by an old rancher in Colorado.

I think you will find this a very interesting book.

7 comments:

Annie said...

I haven't read this one but I'm reminded of Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon, which is a favorite travel-across-America book.

squire said...

I also enjoyed "Blue Highways". As you can tell, I have read SEVERAL books about travel.

Carole Burant said...

It certainly sounds like something I would enjoy reading...can't even imagine all the adventures he had on that walk!!

Gary said...

Years ago I read about half of that book and loved it. I really wanted to finish it but somehow I never got around to doing it. Maybe I WILL finish it one of these days. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Michelle said...

Sounds like something that would be very entertaining, thanks for the recommendation :o)

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Those are the kind of journeys I like and I would love reading this book.

Jenny said...

I agree - this is a great book!!! I started in expecting that the descriptions of scenery and his physical journey would be what interested me, as I am a hiker, but the people he meets and the times he shares with them are truly touching, and the stories he tells about the people he meets are really what makes this book special. I might have to go read it again now! Thanks! :)

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food