Wednesday, November 01, 2006

November Book Review


John Steinbeck is most remembered by my generation for two of his novels that were made into movies. The Grapes of Wrath, starring Henry Fonda and East of Eden, starring James Dean.

In 1962 Steinbeck was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature for his account of Travels with Charley.

In 1960, after suffering a small stroke, Steinbeck and his poodle, Charley, set out to see America in a pickup truck with a camper on back. It depicks life in the '60's.


He did not keep notes and wrote the book after the trip. It was actually written in Barbados and finished in New York. It became the largest commercial success of his career.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Steinbeck was one of my favorite authors. Travels with Charley is an excellent read, but I doubt that it would translate to the big screen very well though.

My favorite Steinbeck work is "Of Mice and Men."

Annie said...

His writing is some of the best,as far as I'm concerned. And he can tell a story too. Being an Okie (originally) I could sure identify with Grapes of Wrath. But my favorite stories of his are the ones set in Monterey - Cannery Row and The Moon is Down.

Thanks for the November book review, Squire.

P.S. I left you another message down three posts.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food