Sunday, March 04, 2007

High School













The year was 1965 and I purchased a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 4 door in the same colors as the one pictured above.

It was a nice ( not quite as nice as the one pictured) car and I paid $300 for it. It was a 6 cylinder with a 3-on-the-tree. I paid $65 down and the payment were $27 a month. I had spent the summer in California and saved a little money from a job I had washing dishes at a cafe. As usual I hitchhiked back and saved my money. I made the down payment and used my SS check ( from my deceased dad) to make the payments.

A week after I bought the car I made my second trip to California that summer. My brother George was going back in the Army and he and I carried his wife back home to California.

This was the car I drove my senior year and boy I had a great time in it. Enough said!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in high school, my buddy (who also had a '56 Chevy) and I used to argue over which car model had the largest back seat (a very important consideration for teen age boys). We finally came to the conclusion that the prize for rear seat spaciousness went to the 1955 Chevy coupe.

OhTheJoys said...

...and what did the ladies think of your ride? Heh.

Annie said...

There was a car like that in my past too. You stimulated so many fond memories with this post.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food