Saturday, April 21, 2007

France - Versailles

Our plan for Thursday was to take the train to Versailles. If the name sounds familiar, it should.

The Treaty of Versailles was signed to end WWII. It was signed in the Chateau de Versailles. The chateau was built by King Louis VIII in 1624 as a hunting lodge and later enlarged and became the official residence of the Kings of France from 1682 until 1790.











I thought the Louvre was huge but this place will take your breath away.










The gardens go on and on and there is a small palace in the rear of the gardens. It was built as a "ladies retreat" so the men could conduct their business in private.










The "ladies" didn't have said privacy. The Royal bloodline had to kept "pure", so the queens had to give birth in public so there could be no mistake of the offstring.
The palace was stripped of most of it's furnishings during the French Revolution, and Tuileries in Paris became the royal residence. Versailles is now a national museum.


Sorry I didn't take more photos but as we walked and listened to our "audio guides" I was just in awe of being in such an historical place that I just forgot about pictures.


http://www.a-castle-for-rent.com/versailles/ , will take you to an excellent sight to view photos.


I thought this would be the "highlight" of my trip but boy was I mistaken. What I would see on Saturday would even top this.


1 comment:

Annie said...

I stopped cold in my tracks when I read that babies were delivered in public. Ouch, ouch and ouch again.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food