Sunday, July 01, 2007

July - book review

I consider this book a "must read" for everyone. Not because it is a literary masterpiece but because of its subject matter.


NICKEL and DIMED or (not) getting along in America, by Barbara Ehrenreich .


Barbara takes several entry level jobs in different cities to see if she could get by on the wages that a lot of Americans make. From being a MERRY MAID, a waitress , and a Wal-Mart employee, she struggles with the very basics. Putting a roof over her head and having enough to eat consumes more than she is earning.

The "working poor" in America have their backs against the wall every day. One paycheck (or outside help) from being homeless. I think everyone knows someone that just struggles and just can't seem to "catch up" much less get ahead in life.

PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Looks like a great and insightful read. I need to put it on my list for the library.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I read that a couple years ago. She totally described how I felt when I waitressed and worked retail.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food