Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sometimes it is TOO easy

As I walked by the guard shack at work today, the guard came out with a large smile to show off the new used car he had purchased. Now he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but is a very likable guy.

He is very proud of his low mileage 2005 Chevy Cobalt coupe, and rightly so as it is very nice. We look at the outside and he unlocks and opens the drivers door and I peek in to see a new looking interior. He closes the door and shows the few flaws one would expect on a five year old car but I am still impressed with its condition.

Proudly he asked, "How many miles do you think it has?". I comment that since I can see it still has the original tires that I can tell within 500 miles as to the right answer.

I get the usual, "No way!". So I take out a dime and use it to check the tread depth of one front tire and one back tire, while explaining I used to be in the tire business.

After pausing for a long moment to decyfer the information I was ready to give my answer. Now I could have said 25,000 miles but that would seem like a very random guess.

I said, "25,500 miles" and walked away as his jaw dropped in awe.

Later he MIGHT figure out that when he opened the door the odometer displayed 25,381 for a few seconds before going blank again.

Sometimes it is truly too easy!!

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food