Monday, June 19, 2006

Windmill farm


Near Joice, Iowa I spotted this windmill farm. I think alternative energy sources should be utilized to the fullest.
35 landlowners and about 5,300 acres make up this farm.

It seemed to go on for miles. I know every resource has its own problems but this surely is better than coal fired plants.
There are 89 windmills on 15.5 miles of service road.


I took this photo to get it some proportion. I applaud the people that has made this happen.
The towers are 235 feet tall with a total extended height of 323 feet. The blades are 85 feet long making the rotor diameter 171 feet.
This farm will power 25,000 homes.

For more facts check out http://www.midwest-renewable.com/top-of-iowa-windfarm.html

Pictures do not do the enormous size justice.

6 comments:

Linda said...

You did a good job with the pictures. We visited a southwest KS windfarm last winter and you are right about the size. The information at the site we visited stated the towers are 30 stories to the top!

Michelle said...

Fantastic! I wish we down under would adopt these windmills as a source of renewable energy. Photos are fatastic :o)

Downshiftingpath said...

The photos are great, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Renewable energy is so important....and there is a saying that we actually are not producing any energy but that we continually recycle the resources we have....wind is another one that is uncaptured to date.
Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I've seen similar windmills when we travel.

Wildside Musing said...

Very interesting!

Anonymous said...

I drive on Interstate 40 regularly as I travel to and from California to visit family. The trip is about 1800 miles each way, most of which would be ideal for wind generation farms. It surprises me that I only pass one small cluster of generators along the way. It seems to me that our dependence on fossil fuels is as large a security threat as anything else we face these days, so I am in favor of developing all viable alternate energy sources.

P.S. Thanks for changing the site to allow non-registered commenting. I hope spam doesn't force you to revert back.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food