Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dumas, Arkansas

Dumas is a small town in the southeast delta region of Arkansas. It is farm country and without cotton and soybeans, Dumas would have little reason to exist.
After the two tornadoes that passed thru Dumas yesterday, it almost does not.
My sister Vivian lives in an assisted living center there and it was heavily damaged but there was no injuries. Two of my nieces live in the area and luckily their homes were spared.
The Madbutcher grocery story was destroyed. One of my great-nieces works there but had already gone home.
When a tornado rips thru a town the most common description says it is like a "war zone". Well that is Dumas today!
So far there has been no reported deaths and the number of injuries is very low considering that such a large portion of the town has been destroyed.
My family is safe and sound but their hometown will never be the same.

1 comment:

Annie said...

That was a very interesting report, Squire. I have been thinking about Dumas so much since those tornados hit and damaged/destroyed so much. I don't know anyone there but it felt as if I did.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food