Saturday, December 01, 2007

December Book Review

With my December book review, I would like to remind everyone about PaperBack Swap .

I now have 45 credits,159 books listed (only my books I am willing to part with, hehe), I have received 67 books and have mailed 111 books. As you can see, I have been taking advantage of this site. They also swap audio books and now are swapping DVD's. Nice to sit home and order a book when you see one mentioned that catches your fancy. Another feature I like is the fact that when ordering a book you can have it sent to any address.

Now on to the book review.





" A Walk in the Woods"
, by Bill Bryson.

Subtitled, "Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail".

Bill and his overweight hiking partner, Steven Katz, set out to hike the Appalachian Trail. The "Trail" runs about 2100 miles from Maine to Georgia.

The books is more more than their attempt to walk the trail but is a lesson on the history of the trail as well as a lesson tree, plants, wildlife, how the topography was formed, with a splash of humor and human relationships thrown in.

Although they did not walk the full length of the trail, the book is really more about "discovery" than a walk of 2100 miles.

His account of Centralia, Pa. is very chilling and something that I had forgotten about.

At just 230 pages it makes for a short but entertaining read.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I think I have that book here on a shelf somewhere, given to me by a friend. I really must go look. I need a new read.

Lisa said...

That sounds like a book I would like. I'll have to check it out! I'll also have to check out PaperBack swap. I've got skads of books gathering dust that I need to get rid of. A friend tried to get me into bookmooch.com... same idea, but I think its primarily hard backs, and once I get something in hard back, its usually something I want to keep.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say howdy, and that I'm alive and kicking. And that I can't tell you how much I appreciate being checked up on. Not much to blog about these days. Or at least not much that I really know how to talk about. Happy Holidays! :-)

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food