Monday, December 31, 2007

Snowbirds

On Thursday after Christmas, I started seeing more rv's heading south and on Friday I decided to count them to see just how many I was actually seeing.

"Snowbirds" are people from the colder parts of the US and Canada that head for warmer parts in the winter. From the looks of it two things came into play for the high number of rvs I counted on I-30. The snowstorms in the mid and northwest had lightened enough for people to hit the road and Christmas with the grandkids was now over.

Most traveling rvers are on the road by 9am and stop for the night before dark. About 10 am on Friday morning I was heading east on I-30 and counted rvs for 50 miles.

I was afraid I might lose count from long periods of no rvs but boy was I wrong. In those 50 miles I counted 66 rvs. Most were large 5th wheels pulled by 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks. Second on the list were class A motorhomes with a few travel trailers and 2 c-class units in the mix.

Most were probably heading for south Texas and other parts of the Southwest. Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona attract large numbers of rvers and several return to the same location year after year.

For my non rv readers, "Google" Quartzsite or Slab City to gain a glimpse into some of the more adventurous.

No comments:

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food