Sunday, December 03, 2006

Hamburg, Arkansas

I love small town America.

To me "Small town America" should have a "town square". Some town squares are occupied by a courthouse while others had schoolhouses and the list could go on and on.

Hamburg, Ar. located in the timber region of southeast Arkansas has an open "square". I don't know if a building was even located on it but my guess is there once was one.

This picture was taken from the southwest corner of the square.


This was from the southeast corner. The square has businesses on all four sides.


This lovely gazebo is in the center of the square. It is decorated with a Christmas tree and the usual trimmings.



This 4-sided clock is on the main drag side of the square. I think it gives the right look.


Naturally, small town America always has its share of wonderful old churches and this one is about a block from the square.

Every small town has at least one famous or infamous (or both) son and Hamburg, Arkansas lays claim to Scotty Pippen, of the Chicago Bulls Basketball star. He along with Michael Jordon won several world championships with the Bulls.

3 comments:

Carole Burant said...

It looks like a delightful little town and how I'd love to explore it for myself!! Love the gazebo and clock!

Annie said...

I've never been to Hamburg, at least not till now. Thanks for the introduction to this little Arkansas town.

Gary said...

I didn't know Scotty was from Arcansas.

Here in Houston, the county courthouse for many years did not have a square next to it, but recently a sqaare has been created. I like that. I love driving through the old towns too.I was born in a town of 1,000 people.I think at least 50 of them were reltives of mine. Maybe more.

 

Free Web Counters
South Beach Diet Food